Saturday, February 27, 2010

Suspending judgment


If you’re like most people, you’re constantly judging your experience as good, bad, or indifferent and reacting accordingly:
  • “Ooh, I like that. I’m going to try to get more of it.”
  • “I hate that. I’m going to avoid it at all costs.”
  • “That doesn’t do anything for me. I’m not going to pay any attention to it.”
When you meditate, you begin to notice the steady stream of judgments and how they dominate your mind and distort your experience. Instead of indulging this habitual pattern, you can practice witnessing your experience impartially, without judgment. When judgments arise, which they undoubtedly will, you can just be aware of them, while avoiding the temptation to judge them as well. Gradually, the habit of judging will loosen its grip on your mind.

No comments: